From the 11th to the 31st of March, an exhibition offers the medieval manuscripts of the Cathedral Libray of Esztergom. Titled “For They Observe for Your Souls…” – Codices in the Cathedral Library of Esztergom, the exhibition is on look at in the freshly restored exhibition rooms of the Bibliotheca.
Soon after the library moved back to Esztergom in 1853, János Scitovszky (1785-1866), archbishop of Esztergom, József Dankó and Nándor Knauz, canons of Esztergom each and every bequeathed four codices to the assortment. Among the these, there was a 12th-century cathedral schoolbook that contains a commentary of the Music of Tunes among other texts, and several manuscripts of Bohemian origin.
Most codices in the library originated and were employed in Central Europe, in Bohemia, Vienna, and Southern Germany. Yet, some of the manuscripts came from the English, Italian, and French territories. The decoration of Peter Lombard’s commentary on the Psalms is a high-high-quality item of English miniature painting. The exhibited manuscripts current a wide vary of medieval ecclesiastical literature encompassing books on liturgy, theology, church law, astronomy, lexicography, as nicely as sermon collections, prayer publications, and schoolbooks.
The exhibition coincides with the publication of a catalog describing with wonderful erudition the medieval manuscripts preserved in the Esztergom guide collections (The Codices of the Cathedral Library of Esztergom, the Archiepiscopal Simor Library, and the Esztergom Metropolis Library). The guide was edited by Edit Madas and penned by Kinga Körmendy, Judit Lauf, Edit Madas, and Gábor Sarbak. Kinga Körmendy’s complete introduction presents the record of the collections and the in-depth descriptions are accompanied by various indices, appendices, a bibliography, and color plates. The book is the most current volume of the Fragmenta et codices in bibliothecis Hungariae series. The book can be ordered right here: [email protected]. A German-language version of the catalog is forthcoming.
(Textual content and pictures by the Cathedral Library of Esztergom)